Hi. I’m Joe “Dr. Tech Daddy” Austin, a retired Computer Science professor, amateur music student and heart transplant survivor living near Raleigh, NC. I’ll be chronicling some projects that have been on my “back burner” for a while that I finally have time to work on. Please come back later to see what’s new.
Being retired, I have time available for volunteer work. If you have a worthy project that could use some help, contact me. I especially like helping young people learn–grown-ups too. Some things I’ve done:
- taught Computer Science at undergraduate and graduate level: programming, database, theory.
- written grants for computing and robotics lab equipment
- conducted Lego Robotics summer camp and other robotics outreach programs for middle school students
- taught computer logic classes using digital circuits and micro-controllers (Parallax, Radio Shack).
- taught adult Sunday School and middle-school children’s Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.
- with my wife, raised three daughters, who all turned out to be artists of one kind or another
- Secondary (9-12) Teacher Certification (TX) in Computer Science, Physics, and Mathematics
- Ph.D. Computer Science; B.S. Physics; lots of Math.
- over 20 years experience in computer applications and operating systems software development and communication protocols design with major computer companies (IBM, Unisys);
- 15 years college teaching.